Monday, September 20, 2010

Honoring what I treasure...

The older I get, the more I realize that the smallest things in the world can make or break my day...and sometimes my spirit. I read a book, "The 5 Love Languages", not necessarily because I wanted to find love, but because I wanted to know my own language and better understand how I interpret love in my relationships with family and friends. I easily realized that my primary love language is "Words of Affirmation" which basically means that words effect me, either positive or negative. "Acts of Service" run a close second but words definitely tend to have the biggest effect in the way that I interpret love.

I've spent so much of my life focusing and remembering the negative words but as I get older, those voices become a little quieter and I am making a conscious effort to listen to the positive...the praise...whether from someone in my life, myself or God. I heard Nate Burkus, a decorator on the Oprah Winfrey Show suggest that we honor the things in our life that are meaningful and I thought that was such an awesome suggestion. In a previous post, I shared a picture of my moms Hummel collection that is displayed in my home. I honor the memory of my mom by honoring her Hummels...no matter insignificant that may seem.


This past Valentine's Day, my grandma and grandpa sent me a card. I think it's partly because they feel bad for me because I'm single and t
hey don't quite understand how I can be happy while alone...lol. But they put their heart in that card and it brings tears to my eyes every time I see it. It didn't seem right to put it in a drawer or a scrapbook because I wanted to see it as much as possible.


I went to Walmart and bought a frame, I think
it cost $3....took the card and framed it. It was the best thing I could have done with it....and I love it!



The card now lives happily on a wall in my craft room and I honor it...and my grandparents. Yes, the "m" is for Michelle....something I found in the $1 bin at Michaels. Never pass that aisle up...there are treasure galore for only a buck! a black metal "m"...c'mon! On a side note, have you tried 3M picture hanging strips? Can you say God-Send???


Disclaimer for the following picture: This has nothing to do with honor but it has everything to do with humor! I found these coasters in the $1 bin at Michaels and fell in love with them! I bought a pack of the four different ones they had, bundled up one of each and gave them to my girlfriends as a gift but I kept one pack for myself. I knew I was not going to use them as coasters because they would easily be ruined, so I decided to frame them in a frame I found at the Dollar Store. They hang proudly in my kitchen and give me a chuckle every time I see them. Oh, I'm a dork...but it's the little things :)

In case you can't read them, they say:


1. "I only have a kitchen because it came with the house"


2. "Housework can't kill you, but why take the chance?"


3. "Both of us can't look good at the same time...it's either me or the house"


4. "Shopping is cheaper than a psychiatrist"




Of course, I don't agree with them. Ok, maybe the shopping one but that's it. Good times :)

No comments:

Post a Comment