Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pumpkin-mania

Man oh man...am I going to miss October. I have thoroughly enjoyed crafting all things Halloween. All I've learned from this October is that I really need to start my Halloween crafting in June. I already have so many projects on my list for next year and plan on starting very early!

Last week, I spent a good two hours in Wal-Mart...you know, the kind of trip where you go up and down every single aisle, taking your time....it was a nice afternoon. I picked up a few glass votive holders for $1 each and a pack of tissue paper that had orange and black (score!) for $1. I cut the orange tissue paper in strips and using Mod Podge, layered them across the votive holders. I used the black paper to make one into a jack-o-lantern, and with the other I punched a few oak leaves. With a tealight inside, they make the most adorable luminarias for my front porch. I suppose you can also put them in a window. For less than $2, you can't beat it.




The other big project that took me several days to complete were these dryer-vent pumpkins. Are they adorable or what??? My pastor asked me to make a big batch of these as thank-you gifts for her elementary school staff and it was a fun challenge.

I used a glue gun to create the circles, spray painted them with pumpkin orange spray paint and let them dry. Using a sponge brush, I used an orange/brown paint mixture to add some highlighting and texture. I wasn't sure how I was going to create the stems so I played around with a few ideas and ended up using some old magazine pages. I twisted the paper, painted it brown, using some moss green paint for highlights and glued them in the center of the pumpkins.

I already have more scrapbook paper than any one person should own, so I chose some patterns, printed out some thank-you tags from a free template, and using rafia, tied a big bow and attached the card. Love them!



I know this is a horrible picture...but they covered my dining table. I made 21 total and have an order for 3 more. So much fun...and I have yet to make one for myself :)



I have my 2nd annual "Pumpkin Carving Party" this weekend....cannot wait! I look forward to posting some things I put together for the party.....Happy Halloween all!

2 comments:

  1. love the tea light holders! and Of course my pumpkin!!! Mrs. Deborah asked where my pumpkin was and I said...at home...on my fireplace...I'm not leaving that thing at work! too cute! Can't wait for Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously these are tooo cute...I so need to come over and "craft play" with you. :O)

    ReplyDelete