Tuesday, April 1, 2014

DIY Terrarium

When I was a little girl, my grandma had a terrarium. I remember it because I used to look inside and imagine the tiny little creatures that lived there, but hid from me when I was around. It was big...like in a huge, brandy-type glass and I loved it. I don't know what happened to it, but lately I have been seeing this little glass globe terrariums and my memories of grandma's house came flooding back.

On a recent shopping trip, I noticed some little globe terrariums and just about had a coronary when I saw the price for a small one was $35. Are you kidding me? So I printed a few Michaels coupons, took a few trips on my way home from work throughout the week and by Saturday morning, I was ready to put these puppies together. I already had rocks and some faux fern leaves in my stash. I just needed the globes, some tiny rock sand and a few succulents and I was ready to get started...


Seriously, about 30 minutes had passed and I had these little puppies. I adore them. I didn't use live plants because I don't need the pressure to water them and keep them alive, but I have other plans for a live version coming soon :) I added a little whimsy with the tiny mushrooms and I think they are the best part.


The large one has a permanent home on my bookshelf, and the smaller one was a gift to my niece, Elyse, because she is just generally awesome and was accepted to almost all the colleges she applied to. She will be attending Cal Poly Pomona in the Fall and I could not be more proud.

 
 
Partying it up with...
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment